Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Product Review: TRX


Last month I went ahead and purchased a TRX. If you haven't seen them, they are becoming somewhat of an "in thing." I already own Elites Blast Straps that I found to be useful for doing pushups and inverted rows, but not a lot else. What I was seeking with the TRX was a more versatile and portable piece of equipment. I liked TRX's ability to put your feet into them and do things like supine leg curls and glute bridging. The other thing I really liked was that you can adjust the length on the straps really, really quickly. I'm not convinced there worth the price tag quite yet though. I honestly wish I knew how to sew nylon webbing as I think you could make your own for super cheap. But it's lightweight and you can do quite a few bodyweight exercises with it. I will be travelling with it this winter with the bobsled team and I plan on sneaking in some workouts in my hotel rooms with there door adaptation kit, so I will see if my opinion changes. Overall, I'm not disappointed with my purchase, but it hasn't blown me away either. I hear jungle gym offers a very similar product for about half the price, but I have not used it. If your really into bodyweight culture or travel quite a bit and never know what type of hotel gym your going to have, I would say it's worth it. If your looking to add something to your budding garage gym, I would say pass.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/grunt.html

This is a great site with homemade equipment how-to's, including sewing nylon webbing!

Coach Rut said...

Jason- This product does everything the TRX does for a fraction of the cost. It's not as polished as the TRX but I use it weekly for a variety of different moves. http://crossfitkc.com/gear.php?productID=17

I enjoy your blog.

Jason Ross said...

Coach Rut, Thanks! I checked it out, it does look like a great piece of equipment. I saw a picture of the power wheel on your website. Do you have any experience with it? If so what's your opinion of it?

Coach Rut said...

I like the power wheel. My only compliant
is with the set screws that hold the foot pedal
in place will strip out with heavy use. Great
core trainer otherwise