Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Poi and other Hypoallergenic Foods

I'm on vacation in Maui this week and thought I would do a post on Poi.  Poi has some amazing properties but probably it's most important is that it is hypoallergenic.  


Poi is the fermented paste of the taro root.  It is naturally gluten free and contains plant-based microorganisms that have been proven by research to be safe and highly beneficial.  It is also considered to be one of the most digestible foods on earth and has been recently shown in research to kill cancer cells in the colon.


It is high in vitamins and minerals.  The thing that separates Poi from other foods in my opinion when it comes to consuming gluten free/hypoallergenic foods, is that it's a great source of carbs and fiber.  A lot of times, you have to consume massive amounts of vegetable to get enough carbs for endurance athletes.  


After learning about Poi, it got me wondering what were some other Hypoallergenic foods.


Here is a list of what I've come up with.  Rice,  Apples, Pears, Lamb ( I would make sure these are local raised) beans (I would go fermented) Pure Maple Syrup, 


I keep reading most vegetables.  What is MOST???  If you have severe food allergies, most is not a good answer.  Still haven't found definitive answers after looking around for the last few days.  I will update if I find some.


On a final hypoallergenic note.  The PURE vitamins I use are hypoallergenic.  I've already had many patients that have told me that with regular vitamins, they will get funky tongue rashes or feel their mouth is irritated, and with the PURE they don't get any adverse reactions.  Very cool!

1 comment:

Ben said...

Enjoy Hawaii...and I'm curious as to how Poi tastes. See you in a few weeks!