Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday Motivation: David Foster Wallace on Life

First, a warning, the speech I'm going to link you to will take you around 15-20 minutes to read.  It is the commencement speech David Foster Wallace gave to Kenyon College in 2005.  I've never read any of his books, but I was referred to the speech by a coffee barista who had the words, "This is Water, This is Water,"  tattooed on their forearm.

Second another warning, it will challenge the way you look at the world around you.  I can honestly say it has influenced how I think about things.  I can not say that about to many things.

When you get a bit of time, open the link.  Read it.  Think about it.  David Foster Wallace died in 2008.  I have a feeling this speech will be around for a long time.

Here is the link:  David Foster Wallace on Life and Work

3 comments:

JoelW said...

Reminds me of the quote ~ Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Lori Tsutsui said...

Wallace is right on about our own reality constructed out of our limited senses and intellect. I am downloading article and using it in my next workshop on Reality Limited. Thanks for posting.

Jason Ross said...

Glad you enjoyed it