Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Perspective on Forward Head Posture

Everyday I see some variance of forward head posture in many of the patients that I see. Some have issues stemming from the posture directly, but others have issues that the forward head posture will influence indirectly.

First things first, we know that anterior head placement will alter the curve and increase the chance of arthritis. SPINE. 1986

Second for every inch the ear comes forward of the shoulder we increase the weight of the head by about 10 pounds. Physiology of the Joints Vol.3. Reading through some Charles Poliquin articles, I came across a reference he uses by Rene Cailliet in Rejuvination Strategy. Cailliet is a biomechanics guy that has worked with the cervical and lumbar spines. He states that a displacement that creates enough weight to equal 30 lbs is enough to pull the whole spine out of alignment.

I seem to be able to give this a little second hand credence. When I stabilize the neck and help restore better mechanics of the upper cervical and cervical/thoracic junction, the low back stabilizes as well.

What to do with this info? Posture check right now. Where is your head? Remember, lose the battle with posture, you lose the war with health and performance.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Tanvir Asif said...

Well, this is interesting. I want to thank you for this great article. Thanks for sharing this :)
posture corrector for women

Alen walker said...

After going over a handful of the blog posts on your website, I really appreciate your way of writing a blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near future. Please check out my website as well and tell me your opinion.
Richard Wilkins

Alen walker said...

You are so cool! I don't believe I've truly read through something like that before. So wonderful to discover someone with unique thoughts on this subject. Really.. thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that is required on the internet, someone with some originality! and you need to correct your body posture with best posture corrective brace

DavidGenis said...

Best Posture Corrector for men and women

posture corrector

best posture corrector

correct posture


A posture corrector should be lightweight and comfortable to wear when your spine is in its neutral position. Find the best posture corrector to improve your posture, works for any body type.