Monday, January 27, 2014

Slow Cooker to the Rescue

We all know that eating healthy is a very important keystone in living a high performance life.  You don't put cheap gas in a Ferrari as the old analogy goes.  Quite literally, we are what we eat.

If you love to cook and experiment with food, then this post is definitely not for you.  But,  if you are like me, and don't enjoy cooking or don't have a ton of time to cook, then I have a secret weapon for you.  The slow cooker!

I was given one a few years ago.  Bachelor gift.  Never used.  Shame on me.  It is the easiest thing to use.  I even ordered a book called Paleo Slow Cooker.  It turned me off.  Why?  Some of the first recipes were about braising or broiling the meat till brown and then add to the slow cooker.  That's full out cooking to me.  I'm more of a put it all in a slow cooker, walk away, come back in 8 hours and eat.

That is all you need to do.

I've cooked two slabs of ribs that were delicious.

We all know chili, both ground beef and white chicken chili, is an excellent go to.

Two chicken breasts in the bottom with chicken stock and then anything else you want to throw in.

I've thrown pasta noodles in as well as potato's with great success.  All kinds of crazy combinations of spices.  I don't know if it's possible to mess up a slow cooked meal.

What's even better then easy prep and a great tasting meal?  Left overs.

Meat.  Chicken or Beef stock.  Vegetable.  Potatoes or Pasta.  An assortment of spices.  8 hours on low.  Enjoy.

There really isn't an excuse.


No comments: