Thursday, August 7, 2014

Volume and Frequency Training Consistently

Awhile back  I was disgusted with my pull up power.  More precisely, my lack of pull up power.  I decided to start a pull up specific program and did a large number a few times a week and a few everyday.  I went from like 3 to like 13 in 4 or 5 weeks.

Earlier this spring I installed a pull up bar in my office.  Mostly, to look at people do pull ups for evaluation purposes.  Then I read a Chad Waterbury article on frequency training.  I took a month and did one single pull up between each patient I saw that day.  So on average I was doing 1 pull up every 20 minutes or so.  Doing about 15-20 pull ups per day, 4 days a week.  I made sure not to do any pull ups in my regular workouts.

One month later, I retested.  I maxed out at 16.  So I increased my max number of pull ups without having done more then 1 rep the whole time.

I credit this with the sheer volume of the pull ups.  Almost 100 a week.  Each rep was strong and powerful.  The neural groove improved.

I'm convinced that it is no longer a moderation thing that improves people.  Improvement in anything.  It's making small frequent inputs.  Every day.  Every day.  Then keep at it.

Frequency and Consistency.

No comments: